Last updated on September 11th, 2023 at 02:12 pm
Ooni pizza oven is an excellent pizza cooker known for making perfectly cooked pizzas within seconds, providing the pizza with an irresistible authentic flavor.
Though this is true for a freshly prepared pizza, is it also applicable to a frozen pizza?
Can Ooni also cook frozen pizza? Here’s an answer to this question.
You can cook frozen pizza and other kinds of pizza in an Ooni pizza oven. Though it may not have that authentic flavor like a freshly prepared pizza because of the frozen texture of the pizza, it will taste good. More so when you allow the pizza to thaw a bit before cooking.
Can You Cook Frozen Pizza in OONI?
You can cook any frozen pizza in the Ooni pizza oven. Although, the Ooni pizza oven comes in different sizes and uses a different source of fuel.
You can conveniently cook frozen pizza in any of them and get the same fantastic taste.
However, when trying to cook your pizza using these ovens, you should take note of the size of the pizza you intend to cook.
The reason is that the Ooni pizza ovens come in different sizes, so not all pizza sizes can fit into them.
For instance, you can only cook a maximum of 12 inches of pizza in an Ooni fyra or an Ooni Koda 12 pizza oven.
But when your pizza is larger than 12, you’ll have to consider cooking your pizza in a bigger Ooni pizza oven, such as the Ooni Karu 16 or the Ooni pro pizza oven.
Another advantage of cooking your frozen pizza in an Ooni pizza oven is that the Ooni can retain the authentic flavor of your pizza.
So, you can be sure of getting a tasty and crispy pizza when you cook the pizza in an Ooni pizza oven.
Interestingly, the Ooni pizza oven can cook frozen pizzas of all types. Frozen pizzas such as:
- Gluten-free pizza
- Deep dish pizza
- Sourdough pizza
- Thick crust pizza
- Thin crust pizza
Though these pizzas cook at different cooking duration and require different heat intensities, the Ooni pizza oven can adjust to any temperature suitable to cook them perfectly.
So, cooking a frozen pizza in an Ooni pizza oven is possible.
How to Cook Frozen Pizza in OONI? (step by step)
Cooking a frozen pizza can be done in two ways. You can cook the pizza directly in its frozen state or allow it to thaw before you cook.
To cook a frozen pizza in its frozen state is super easy with an Ooni oven.
These are the steps to follow to cook your frozen pizza.
- Clean the Ooni oven properly and lit it up so it can preheat.
- Allow to heat up for about 15 minutes minimum.
- Add your desired toppings and launch the frozen pizza into the oven with your Ooni perforated pizza peel.
- Ensure to turn the pizza frequently to ensure proper cooking of the pizza.
- Cook until toppings are well-cooked and the pizza looks crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the cooked pizza from the oven with a perforated pizza peel.
So, these are the steps for cooking a frozen pizza in an Ooni. Easy right? Well, here is something to note.
Ensure to cook your frozen pizza at a medium temperature.
Do not be tempted to cook frozen pizza at the same temperature you cook the regular pizza, as you may end up burning your pizza or get an unevenly cooked pizza.
For the second method of preparing your pizza which is thawing frozen pizza before cooking, here is a step-by-step guide on how to achieve that.
- Remove the frozen pizza from the packaging bag.
- Thaw your frozen pizza in a large bowl so the pizza can expand and rise well, then cover with a plastic bag.
- Place the plastic bag in a paper towel or dry cloth and leave for at least an hour until the dough is well thawed, soft, and ready to cook.
- Properly clean and prepare your Ooni pizza oven for use. Heat the oven and preheat for about 20 minutes.
- While the oven is preheating, add toppings and garnishes to your pizza but avoid the temptation of overtopping to prevent your dough from getting soggy.
- Brush the edges with olive oil and garlic to give the pizza a crispy, golden-brown crust.
- Afterward, get your Ooni perforated pizza peel and dust with enough flour to prevent the dough from sticking to the peel.
- Transfer the thawed pizza dough to the peel and launch it into your Ooni pizza oven.
- Ensure to stay around the cooking area so you can turn the pizza occasionally to prevent it from getting burnt. Also, make sure you adjust the heat of the Ooni pizza oven based on the toppings you use.
- Cook until your pizza is crispy and golden brown, then remove with the help of your perforated pizza peel, and your yummy pizza is ready for consumption.
These are some of the tools you’ll need and their uses to ensure easy and safe cooking of your frozen pizza in an Ooni pizza oven.
Below are the tools and their uses.
|For turning and moving pizza inside the oven
|To protect hands from the hotness of the oven.
|For heat measurement
|To cut the pizza into serving pieces.
Can You Store a Frozen Pizza in OONI?
You cannot store a frozen pizza in an Ooni but a cooling medium such as a freezer or a refrigerator.
Frozen or freshly prepared pizzas that require storage must be frozen to prevent them from eventually overrising and dying.
While in the freezer, the yeast goes dormant and hibernates until you’re ready to have it cooked and consumed.
So, to store your frozen pizza, you’ll need to package it well before storing it inside the freezer.
You can use an airtight container or a tight plastic wrap.
Then, put the pizza into it, seal it well and cover it with aluminum foil or freezer paper for extra protection before putting it into the freezer.
The reason is to prevent the pizza from drying out in the freezer. This way, the pizza can maintain its quality and taste for a long time.
However, note that the longer you keep the pizza, the less tasty the pizza becomes.
Things to Know About Cooking Frozen Pizza in OONI Pizza Oven?
You should know certain essential things about cooking pizza in an Ooni pizza oven.
First, cooking frozen pizza in an Ooni pizza oven requires carefulness.
The reason is that the temperature you cook a frozen pizza is different from that of cooking a regular pizza.
While a regular pizza requires a hot temperature to cook perfectly, your frozen pizza may need a lesser temperature.
So, you must ensure to adjust the oven temperature after preheating to a lesser temperature so your frozen pizza doesn’t get burnt.
The recommended temperature for cooking a frozen pizza is 232°C. Also, ensure your toppings are ready before preheating the oven.
Everything you need must be ready before heating the oven because everything needs to go into the oven immediately after the oven gets hot.
So, do not allow your frozen pizza to sit for too long to prevent the dough from defrosting and becoming sticky.
Also, dust your perforated pizza peel with enough flour to avoid the pizza sticking to the peel when launching the pizza into the oven.
Another reason is that if your pizza sticks to the peel, it will not rise as expected. So ensure to flour the sticky portion of the pizza.
Next, you can lift the edge of the pizza close to you and blow in some air. This act will lift the pizza off the peel and prevent it from sticking to the peel.
How Does Frozen Pizza Taste Like in OONI?
Frozen pizza made in Ooni has a great, authentic flavoring taste.
In addition, the taste of most pizzas made in the Ooni pizza oven makes the oven greatly desired by those who intend to achieve standard restaurant pizza in the comfort of their home.
So, if you desire a yummy, tasty, and crispy pizza experience, you should consider getting the Ooni pizza oven.
The Ooni pizza oven is suitable for cooking various pizzas, including frozen pizza.
The oven heats up to the high temperature necessary for authentic flavoring of pizzas by drying out excess moisture from the pizza to prevent sogginess.
In addition, its high efficiency and heat retention capacity makes cooking time shorter and more pleasurable.