Last updated on September 11th, 2023 at 02:11 pm
Detroit-style pizza is a deep dish, square-cut pizza made with a dough much wetter than regular pizza.
Detroit-style pizza contains tomato-based sauce and cheese around its edges.
Pans designed with specific features are required to make this amazing-tasting pizza.
The best pans to use as alternatives for making Detroit-style pizzas are authentic steel Detroit-style pizza, Lloyd Detroit-style pizza, and blue carbon steel pizza. Some features they possess are durability, stick resistance, and corrosion resistance.
In this article, I’ll give you more details on the alternative pans for making Detroit-style pizza and the features that make them desirable.
Which Pan Is Used For Making Detroit-Style Pizza?
Pans used to make Detroit-style pizza should have specific features to produce the best results.
Here are features to look out for in a Detroit-style pizza pan.
- It should be rectangular and have a size of 8×10 or higher to cover the large dough.
- The pan should have a black surface because, according to science, black is best for heat.
- The pan should be non-stick so it would be easy to press the dough and slide out the pizza.
- Manufacturers should make the pan out of authentic steel or anodized aluminum to ensure its durability.
- It should be flake-free to prevent constant real seasoning.
Three Alternatives Pan For Detroit Style Pizza
Three of the best Detroit-style pizza pans to use are authentic steel Detroit-style pizza pans, blue steel pans, and Lloyd Detroit-style pizza pans.
Trust me, they are the best, and here are some reasons why;
#1. Authentic Steel Detroit-Style Pizza Pans
The authentic steel pans were designed specifically for making Detroit-style pizzas.
Unlike cold-rolled pans, the authentic steel pan is a non-stick pan that does not rust.
These pans come with automotive parts trays that help to increase efficiency.
Here are features of authentic steel Detroit-style pizza pans.
#1. It Does Not Give Room For Break-In Periods
Unlike the previous pans, whereby pizzerias would have to spend so much time and money on the dough to break the pans in, these non-stick pans do not require break-ins.
You can use the authentic steel Detroit-style pizza pans immediately.
#2. Water Resistant
Authentic steel Detroit-style pizza pans are water-resistant.
Authentic steel Detroit pizza pans maintain water to avoid loss of seasoning and the original taste in the dough.
#3. All-Natural Seasoned Coating
Authentic steel pizza pans contain an all-natural season coating with canola oil.
These coatings are non-harmful, unlike individual pans that can be toxic and help to protect the pan.
#4. Easier Dough Pressing
Since the authentic steel Detroit-style pans are non-stick, they do not require much effort for dough pressing.
These authentic steel pans easily grab the dough, and the pizzas easily slide out after baking.
#5. Flake-Free Seasoning
Using the original pans was time-consuming and required a lot of energy.
This requirement is because the original pans usually flake off and must be reseasoned.
On the other hand, these new authentic steel Detroit-style pans do not flake.
There are authentic steel Detroit-style pans in sizes 8×10 and 10×14. You can get these authentic steel pans for $22-$32.
The table below contains some differences between ordinary and authentic steel pans.
|Ordinary Steel Pans||Authentic Steel Pans|
|They are not stick-resistant.||They are stick resistant.|
|They can be toxic.||They are non-toxic.|
|They are not water resistant.||They are water resistant.|
#2. Lloyd Detroit Style Pizza Pans
Lloyd Detroit-style pizza pans are non-stick pans that are best for commercial production and are very easy to sustain.
Here are typical features of Lloyd Detroit-style pizza pan.
- It is designed for ready use and does not require pre-seasoning
- It is an aluminum pan
- It is a stick-resistant pan
- It will not rust because it is an anodized aluminum pan with a PSTK finish
- It has double thick flat rims that make it durable and long-lasting
- This dark heat is safe for up to 700 degrees Celsius and produces perfect crusts
- It has a coating that is non-toxic and water-based.
- It has a 76-degree angle that allows for nesting when it’s empty.
You can get this Lloyd non-stick pan for about $28-$41 in different sizes. One thing to note is that you will buy the lid differently.
#3. Blue Carbon Steel Pans
Here are the desirable features of a typical blue carbon steel pan:
- They can endure high temperatures (Up to 427 degrees).
- It provides pre-seasoned features.
- It has protection against rust.
- They are great for caramelizing and searing.
- The blue layer serves as a protective layer.
- These pans are forged, not cast, making them lighter, less porous, and easy to handle.
- It is a non-stick pan.
You can get the blue carbon steel pan for about a hundred dollars.
Can You Make Detroit Style Pizza In a Glass Pan?
Yes, you can make Detroit-style pizza in a glass pan. Making Detroit-style pizza in a glass pan is not different from making it in a metal pan, except that the process is slower in a glass pan.
Here are simple steps to follow to make a Detroit-style pizza in a glass pan:
Step – 1
Ingredients for making the pizza dough;
- 10 ounces of flour (2.5 cups)
- Six ounces of warm water (¾ cups)
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- One teaspoon of salt
- One teaspoon of instant yeast
Ingredients to make ready for the pizza;
- 16 ounces of mozzarella cheese
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- 28 ounces of Tomatoes with Basil and Sea Salt
- Dried oregano
Tools to make ready for baking;
- A wooden spoon
- An oven
- A glass pan
- A plastic wrap
- A refrigerator
Step – 2
- Pour all the ingredients for the dough into a bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands or use a spoon for a better outcome.
- Leave the dough to rise for about 20 minutes in a warm environment.
- Mix the dough again for sixty seconds until it is smooth.
- Use plastic wrap to cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 12-72 hours.
Step – 3
- Get your glass pan and sprinkle olive oil over it.
- Carefully lay your dough in the middle of the pan and press and stretch it.
- Cover half the pan for about sixty minutes and continue pressing and stretching.
- Let the dough rise for an hour.
Step – 4
- Drizzle the mozzarella cheese over the dough evenly, especially at the edges.
- Let the dough rise for two hours. The dough will rise with the cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes.
Step – 5
- Lay the toppings you prefer and bake the pizza until it is crispy and browned
- Remove the pizza from the pan with a spatula and garnish it with oregano and tomato.
- Cut and serve it.
#1. What Should Be the Size of Detroit-Style Pizza Pans?
Detroit pizza pans should be in any size from 8×10.
#2. What Is PSTK Coating?
PSTK (Pre-Seasoned Tuff-Kote) is a coating that eliminates pre-seasoning. Once your pan has PSTK, you wouldn’t be required to do pre-seasoning.
#3. How Do I Season My Pizza Pan?
When buying pans, it is best to go for authentic steel pans and blue carbon steel pans. They are pre-seasoned.
If you bought a pan that isn’t pre-seasoned, here are the steps to do it.
- Firstly, you must wash the pan thoroughly and then dry it.
- Ensure the pan is properly dried by passing it through the oven and heating it for a while.
- Sprinkle the pan with canola or salad oil.
- Pass it through the oven at about 219 degrees Celsius and leave it there for 20 minutes.
The best pans to make Detroit-style pizza are Lloyd Detroit-style pizza pans, authentic steel Detroit-style pizza pans, and blue carbon steel pizza pans.
These pans are stick-resistant, durable, and can handle high temperatures making them perfect for making Detroit-style pizzas.
You can also use glass pans for Detroit-style pizzas, but the process is much slower than metal pans.